Don't throw away that pulp: Make apple cider vinegar
The third article in our series of practical ways to use pulp.
Homemade apple cider vinegar is far superior to the store-bought variety. That's because commercial apple cider vinegar has been filtered and pasteurized to give it a clean appearance and long shelf life. Unfortunately that also removes many of the health benefits of naturally-fermented apple cider vinegar.
Homemade apple cider vinegar is a natural cleaner for the body. Taken internally, it is a natural antibiotic, antiviral, antiparasite, and antifungal liquid that will help rid your body of harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungus. Regular consumption not only strengthens the body's natural defenses, it also promotes healthy weight loss.
How to make apple cider vinegar from pulp
Normally homemade apple cider vinegar requires shredding apples. Fortunately, your juicer has already done the hard work for you!
- Juice several apples to collect enough pulp to fill a jar 3/4 full
- Mix 1 tablespoon sugar with a cup of water and pour over the apples until they are completely covered.
- Use a fermentation weight or some other clean glass or ceramic object to ensure the apples stay submerged.
- Cover the jar with a mesh lid or cheesecloth. It needs to be able to breath, but keep out insects.
- Put it in a dark place like a kitchen cabinet and stir the apple mixture every few days.
- After 3 weeks, or when the bubbling stops, strain out the apples and return the liquid to the jar.
- Let it ferment in the jar another 2-3 weeks until it reaches the desired vinegar flavor.
- Seal it in a bottle and store it in the fridge.
Homemade apple cider vinegar will continue to gradually ferment, so it is best to use it within two months. It has an almost unliminted shelf life, but the flavor will become sharper after a few months, even in the fridge.
How to use apple cider vinegar?
Two tablespoons of fresh apple cider vinegar per day wll provide great heath benefits. Just mix it with hot water and drink slowly. You can add some honey for sweetness. For weight loss, mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water and drink it 20 minutes before a meal to aid digestion.